Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What we don't like to talk about...

It's been a couple months but I still miss the class act that was Metropolitan Home.


They were axed because of dimishing ad sales. Um, ok. If you read the data below, it doesn't make sense.

Via the LA times:

"For the first nine months of 2009, Met Home's ad pages were down 32.7% compared with a year earlier. That compares with a 34.1% drop at Elle Decor, a 49% drop at Architectural Digest, a 45.8% drop at Dwell, a 29% drop at Martha Stewart Living and an 11.9% drop at Sunset, according to the PIB.
The closing of Met Home, which stated its circulation at about 560,000, follows the demise of Domino, House & Garden, Cottage Living and O at Home, among others."

The end of 2009 also was an end for Washington Spaces, Southern Accents, and Country Home. Magazines geared toward affluence in a down economy will have problems.


I still love my Elle Decor, and Global siblings for bringing us a broader view of the world and its many shades of inspiration.






I miss O at Home, or as I referred to it "I love Nate Berkus magazine" (Because I adore him). I used to own the dining table in the photo above (a discontinued Ralph Lauren by Hendredon piece). I found it the year after I saw it and it connected me to original inspirations I experienced my first year as an interior designer.


Unfortunately we probably won't be seeing any new shelter magazines in print anytime soon. I am enjoying some new GREEN magazines (printed on recycled paper of course), but that is a seperate post slated for later this month.

For better or worse the internet and the economy have changed the way advertisers spend their $$.

Design fans, designers, creatives, entrepenuers, and a few good souls will continue to produce quality content in spite of circumstances.




I'd like to recommend Lonny Mag to all fans of the beloved Domino magazine. It's an online magazine that come out of Domino's ashes.

And it's free.


And classy.


And Inspiring.


And online only.


I think that can be called green. :)


Their missions statement: “In a time when shelter publications are turning their last pages…


Our mission is to reopen the doors to accessible design. By embracing an online platform we provide inspiration at the click of a finger, directly connecting our readers to their favorite products and resources. Our freedom from page limits means that we can share more content in each issue, delivering an intimate look into the way people really live.”

I am rather anti-DIY. In fact the only DIY worth reading in my opinion is apartment therapy or design sponge. The rest looks awful. Lonny is a nice mix of affluent-classy-design driven-some budget frindly DIY mixed in. ENJOY. If you come across anything or anyone else rising up out of the ashes-please email me!

No comments: